Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ritchie : so much More meets the (Black) eye

Today is Ritchie Blackmore's birthday.

as a treat, enjoy this gem: a live sensational acoustic improv.

as sensual as it gets....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHlTGVi4lgY&feature=related


I've watched Ritchie through the different phases of Deep Purple and then into his Rainbow days, back into DP and beyond.

The signature chords now played by every band in every high school and college across the land were Blackmore's opening lead on Smoke on the Water.  It is instantly recognized, and I can hear the
"da da da, da da dada, da da da ,da da" in my head.  Cover bands at school dances were required to know that song...or they weren't allowed to play.  At least that's the way I remember it. 

Other than "Louie Louie" its probaby the most familiar, and most likely the one thing every aspiring guitar player wants to learn to play.

If you don't know the tune, you have lived under a rock for a very long time, or are deaf.  Those are the only excuse.  heck, even my mother knows the tune (although I can honestly say  I think she believes its the melody to a high school cheer)

It is a part of the American landscape.  Ritchie Blackmore created something that morphed.  I find some comforting humor in that. 

And then there is this Ritchie Blackmore.

The clip above is Ritchie digging deep and drawing on all of his classical, jazz and spanish influences to create something beautiful and timeless and: acoustic.

It is romantic and moving.  The trills are especially lovely, and the quiet between the notes are just as emotional as the quick vibrato. I strain to listen for every note.  None are thrown away.  There is  movement, like an ocean wave where it finally crashes and releases.

like I said, as sensual as it gets,,,




No comments:

Post a Comment